Friday, August 29, 2014

Bagels

So they were all ugly but these two were the ugliest. And they were the only ones left by the time I got around to taking the picture...

I actually just used my regular sourdough bread dough recipe. It had been sitting in the fridge for 4 days. I had even taken it out yesterday and left it out on the counter to raise but then didn't get around to baking it so put it back in the fridge again. Anyway, pretty well abused dough.

Divide a loaf portion into 11 pieces. Add any internal flavorings, like raisins and cinnamon. Knead them in. Roll into snakes, squash ends together to make bagels. Rise an hour~ish (my dough is sourdough).

Preheat 500'. Boil 4"of water in pot. When boiling add 2 tsp baking soda. Boil bagels 2 at a time, for 30 seconds. They should float. Flip. Cook 30 seconds. Remove. Repeat with all the bagels.

Top with any desired toppings, put in oven. Reduce heat to 425'. 15 minutes. Rotate pan 180 degrees. Bake 12~15 more minutes, or until done.

They turned out really well. Especially the cinnamon raisin ones. Next time I'll be sure to have some labneh cream cheese on hand to go with them.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love that the ones you had to photograph were so sad :) I guess that means they were a big hit!

    ReplyDelete