Monday, April 21, 2014

Food Principles for Health and Frugality

Guest Post!  So, my sister is being awesome and letting me pirate her blog... I recently did a food presentation and wanted to post info here for all those lovely ladies and gents who attended.  Disclaimer: Some of this information is repeated elsewhere in this blog! 

Essential Food Principles for Health and Frugality

Number One: Food is Spiritually Significant

Many religions have food laws; Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Bahai, Jainism, Rastafarianism, Sikhism, and of course Mormonism.  There's something directly connective between our spiritual receptiveness and the way we care for our bodies.  Our bodies are a gift and we have the responsibility  to care for them as such.  The good news is that with stewardship comes divine assistance to overcome weaknesses and triumph over addiction.  (see Ether 12:27).  


Number Two: Eat Like a Peasant

Since when have poor and fat become synonymous conditions?  Only in America!  Poor nutritional food is readily available and has become extremely cost effective.  In order to live healthily and frugally, we MUST adopt the food traditions of lower classes in other cultures and look to our own past for the pre-industrialized fare of the poor.  

Peasant food:
  • Home Made
  • Whole Grains
  • Legumes
  • Soups 
  • Stews
  • Produce
  • Little Meat
  • Few Sweets
  • No Waste

 Food Sourcing Ideas (Long Island):


Number Three: The Candle Principle


Three years ago I gave up sugar for Lent and I haven't looked back since.  That is amazing, considering I have been a sugar addict my entire life, and never was able to be completed abstinent from the stuff for more than a month.

About a year in, I had an illuminating conversation with a friend who was struggling with her own sugar addiction.  She had been sugar free for two months, but it seemed her craving were getting more intense all the time.  We tossed some ideas back and forth, but I realized I no longer really had any experience with sugar cravings.  When she asked me to explain myself I said, "I see off-limit food like I see candles.  Aesthetically pleasing, aromatic, but inedible.  Not something it would be rational to eat." 

I hope to never experience the ill-effects of sugar again, and so I don't plan to re-introduce sugar into my life again.  That is not to say that everyone needs to live to this extreme (although I think we should all honestly assess our intake), but there may be foods in your life that it would be okay for you never to eat again.  Treat those foods like candles, and you won't be afraid of them anymore.

The Skinny on Sugar...


  • Barley malt
  • dextrin, dextrose 
  • fructo-oligosaccharides
  •  glucose
  •  sucrose 
  • polydextrose 
  • diastase, diastatic malt 
  • ethyl maltol 
  • maltodextrin, maltose
  • mannitol 
  • xanthan gum (fermented glucose or sucrose) 
  • high fructose corn syrup. 
Sound familiar? Read: Sugar.


Why Switching to Diet Doesn't Work...


“putting something on the sweet receptors of the tongue tells the brain that something sweet is coming and to get ready by producing hormones such as insulin…(but) they do not act as sugar does and do not balance your insulin. As a result, you end up with excess insulin in your body, so you end up eating more food...This whole pattern disrupts your appetite control system in serious ways (UM pg 99).” – Dr. Hyman

  

  Benefits and Uses of Natural Sweeteners

Pure Maple Syrup
-sweeter than honey
-does not seize at cold temperatures
Raw Local Honey
-Seasonal Allergy Relief
Medjool Dates
-soak overnight and blend in food processor




Over Ripe Bananas
-Smoothies, Banana Froyo

No comments:

Post a Comment