Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Creamy Bacon Potato Soup

I was visiting my parents this weekend and wanted to make my Dad some bacon potato soup but apparently I've never posted the recipe here so I didn't have it! If I were a thinking person, I'd have realized it was on dropbox but that didn't occur to me at the time. So now that I'm home, here is the recipe in case it ever comes up again. There's no picture because I'm not making it for myself since it's not gaps legal. It's a great recipe to feed a large crowd with though. Doubling it goes a long, long way.


1 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots (in food processor)
2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 qt chicken stock
1 qt half and half
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste


In a frying pan, fry bacon.  Remove bacon from pan, set aside, and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or keep it all in there...yum).  Sauté onions in bacon fat.  Put soup stock in a large sauce pan.  Add pota­toes, car­rots, and sautéed onion.  Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.  Make white sauce by melting butter, then adding flour.  Cook for 1 minute, then add the milk, salt & pepper.  Stir constantly with whisk until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add, with bacon, to vegetables in pan.  Stir to blend.  Warm all the way through and serve immediately.

Note: this recipe really doesn't need cheese added to it but feel free to use some cheddar as a garnish if desired. Also, if you think you'll have leftovers, you may want to add the bacon to individual bowls because it loses it's delicious crispness pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment