Sunday, June 17, 2012

GAPS Intro in Hindsight


I've been meaning to post my thoughts about the Intro now that it's over with. I'm really glad I did it. I'm also really glad it's over. I feel like I could have stuck it out a lot longer if I didn't have a family to feed. They ate what I was eating but weren't nearly as happy about it. And I couldn't handle doing two meal plans. So I just moved thru as quickly as possible.

I think I spent 4,5,3,4 days on each of the first 4 phases, respectively. After phase 4, I just added one thing a day and kept going until we were on full gaps. Which didn't take long. I didn't notice any adverse reactions when adding things but I know I would have felt more healing if I'd stayed on the beginning phases longer or added things back in slower. My general feeling is that I did 'too much, too soon'.

Currently, I'm still off dairy, grains, sugar, and anything processed. We go thru a ton of produce. I'm using all-natural products and using a tongue scrapper and a skin brush. I do fresh juice or a green smoothie every morning and take BioKult and fermented cod liver oil daily. I eat soup at least every other day and am still very sparing with grain-free baked goods and honey.

I need to do a much better job of keeping up with the 'protocol'. Mostly drinking the broth and eating soup every day. I found a bunch of new soup recipes I'm interested in so hopefully that will help. And I'm going to try my sister HOF's recommendation to reduce my broth so I don't have to drink as much of it to get the same benefit. And I need to get back in the habit of doing detox baths. I think those helped me a lot.

We started gaps almost 6 weeks ago. It feels so much longer than that. The most dramatic improvements for me have been my increased energy level and my weight loss - which are probably related. I've lost 20 lbs and haven't had this much energy for a few years at least. It's so nice to feel rested when I wake up and have energy for the day. My memory seems to have improved and a post-nasal drip issue has been resolved too (that I didn't even know was there until it was gone - my head feels so clear!).

And there's a new level of confidence in my will power. Honestly I haven't been very cravy or felt deprived at all. But just the whole experience of sticking with Intro has me rethinking what other areas of my life could use a re-haul - early to bed and early to rise is the big for me one right now.

Diet-wise, I'm ready to start eating less meat. It just doesn't sound good to me lately. My plan is to up the broth consumption and start using lentils and more white navy beans. I'm also adding in more coconut milk and in a few short weeks, I can try to reintroduce dairy. The rest of the family eats yogurt daily but I'm doing the full 6-week dairy cleanse so I'm not quite there yet.

All in all, I'm really proud of us. I did the best I could. I had some great results. I fit into my skinny jeans. I've successfully not gone out to eat for over a month. And I finally feel like I understand the difference between GAPS and other grain-free diets. I don't want to speak too soon, but I really feel no desire to 'cheat' on grains or sugar. Having done Intro, there seems to be a lot more to lose by falling off the bandwagon now than earlier this year when we kept starting and stopping our full gaps programs. So I'm feeling really hopeful that we'll make it the whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment