Sunday, May 20, 2012

Roasted Beets and GAPS Day 12


We had a lovely dinner tonight. It seemed like a real meal to me. Probably the first one we've had like that since starting GAPS. Well, last night we had King Crab dipped in ghee with roasted asparagus. That was delicious but this meal we could actually have people over for - and we did! Tonight's menu was shrimp scampi, roasted carrots and butternut squash, roasted beets, and whipped caulitatoes. And a few soaked, dehydrated walnuts for dessert. The beets are a revelation. I had something like them at my friend JL's bday dinner and have been making them ever since. Who knew lemon could make such a difference?

Roasted Beets
1 bunch red beets
1 bunch golden beets
olive oil or ghee
1 large or 2 small lemons
sea salt and fresh pepper

Basically, you make home-fries out of beets. Remove tops and ends of beets. Peel with a vegetable peeler. Slice into chunks. In a bowl, drizzle ghee or olive oil over beets until they're well coated. Zest some of the lemon (usually as much as I have patience for) and mix the zest plus the juice into the beets with salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Bake in 400' oven for 45 minutes or until beets are no longer crunchy.

Roasted Carrots and Squash - Chop carrots and butternut squash into chunks. Drizzle ghee until they're well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Any fresh herb would work well here too. Bake at 400' with the beets for 45 minutes or until soft.

Whipped Caulitatoes - Boil or steam cauliflower until very soft. Put in food processor ghee with salt and fresh pepper. Taste it and then add more ghee. Do not oversalt.

Scampi - Thaw and peel tails off shrimp. Saute garlic in ghee. Add shrimp and cook until just pink - about 1 minute. Remove shrimp and cook down liquid that remains in pan. Pour over shrimp and serve.


I also made carrot popsicles for the Monkey. Because I am soooo nice ;)

Well day 12 I'm feeling pretty good. I haven't really had any setbacks since we started. I've taken some things slower and sped up other things but I feel like it's more of a sanity gauge for me - like I am going to give up if I can't eat nuts by Sunday or I could eat this again tomorrow - I'll wait a few days to move forward. But digestively, I'm feeling good and haven't felt setback by anything specific. So that's awesome.

And my outlook is much improved. I feel like I'm on the downhill slide now that we can eat something that resembles real dinner to me. I have breakfast solved now with scrambled or poached eggs. Lunches can easily be soups and I can make delicious, non overcooked veggies again for dinner. Yay.

I do need to be better about drinking my broth though. I thought my chicken backs would be here quicker than they were so I've been in scarcity with my broth. I still have some but if I use it, then I'm out. I could do more beef broth but that just has never turned out well for me. I have a really hard time drinking anything but chicken broth. I cook my veggies in the beef broth but I don't like how it tastes as-is. In fact, I need to research delicious broth recipes now that I can actually saute the aromatics first. My broth could definitely use an upgrade.

So yeah, I'm feeling optimistic about our menu. And I think this week will be the last 'hard' week to get thru. Which will be much easier than the two previous 'hard' weeks we've made it thru already. Well, almost two weeks. Sheesh - our carrot cake bash seems like it was eons ago.

1 comment:

  1. I tried your poached eggs in the mason jars! AMAZING! Ghent loved them, so I told him I stole them from your blog! My jars weren't as clean...but not too messy either.

    ReplyDelete