Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cauliflower Soup (GAPS Intro) and Day 2 update


I'm still trying to figure out how to use the camera on my phone since my other one broke a few weeks ago. So sorry for the blur. I know it doesn't look like much but this is some delicious soup. Well, delicious to me since there are only about 8 things I can eat right now on Phase 1 of Intro GAPS. I think I like it well enough to eat normally though - you know, with some delicious side dishes to dress it up a bit. Anyway, the soup...

6-8 garlic cloves, smashed.
2 onions, chopped
4 10oz pkgs frozen cauliflower florets
chicken broth
sea salt and pepper

Put 1 cup of chicken broth in the soup pot on med-high until it's really hot/starting to boil. Add garlic and onions and pretend you're sauteing them even though you're actually steaming them. I'm sure this step was only for my personal sanity and not for any actual function in the dish, so feel free to skip if you'd like (Or use butter if you're not on gaps intro!).

Once I was done pretending that I was sauteing them in butter (and they were pretty soft), I dumped in the frozen cauliflower and added chicken broth until it just barely covered the cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower is soft (45 min-ish). Remove from heat. Puree with an immersion blender. Season with sea salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Update: We're on day 2 today. I'm feeling lethargic and have a sore throat but no flu yet and not cranky yet. I'm just happy it doesn't feel like the world is ending like I thought it might. It's been much less dramatic than I thought it would be for us. Still, only day 2. The Monkey has refused everything but broth and yogurt until lunch today - she went for the broccoli soup (broccoli plus broth with an immersion blender).

Menu today: water. broth with fresh garlic and kraut juice. butternut squash soup. broth. yogurt and raw milk for the kids. cauliflower soup. broth. shank, beef broth, broccoli soup. ginger tea. also detox baths with apple cider vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. I just read about the GAPS diet because I had no idea what it was! Sounds intense! But this might be a good thing for us to try...well Ghent at least...I'll have to try it after baby 2. :(

    ReplyDelete