Sunday, January 22, 2012

GAPS Week One Journal


Well we made it. One week of GAPS. Or at least our best estimate of it. Day 1 and 2 were fine. Day 3 and 4 were really rough - mostly with the Monkey being extremely cranky and begging for all the food she couldn't have. It's gotten steadily better since then. I was worried she'd be living on boiled egg whites (she picks out the yolk) and apples with peanut butter but thankfully she has started eating the meals with us now. Ok, so I bribed her with cake. No, I'm rewarding her with gaps legal cake for eating meals with us for three days in a row. And it seems to be working. She loves cake. And she's on track to get some tonight after dinner.

My general feeling about it? It's a lot of work. A lot of dishes. A lot of planning ahead with the broth. But honestly if I were more organized and had a solid prep time every week to make broth and start ferments and chop stuff, it would be a ton easier. Not that that's going to happen any time soon. I will say, I think when I get into a groove with it, it will be easier than my previous meal planning and prep - mostly because we're eating super simple soups for dinner almost every night. That may get really old but I'm happy with it right now - especially since dinner takes me 5-10 minutes total with my premade broth. And there are barely any dishes to do. I love that.

Lunches take more time. Mostly in the chopping department. But I try to make double so I only have to cook lunch every other day. That cuts the dishes in half as well. It was my previous system for simplifying dinner but now that dinners are brothy soups, I'm using it on lunch meals instead. It works out nicely because we tend to have outings every other morning during the week.

So the food prep part is busy right now but simple in concept enough to be sustainable for me. The part that freaks me out still is the finality of it all - we cannot go out to eat. Being too lazy to make dinner now means we're not going to eat until I figure something out. I haven't used the too-lazy-to-cook card in a while but I liked that it was still an option. But no more. Period.

And the shopping part is really hectic. I've been to the store a ton this week. Like 5 times. Two were in one day. That part is definitely not sustainable for me. Mostly we've been going thru food a LOT faster than I thought we would. The juicing has a lot to do with that but just in general, we are eating a huge volume of produce. So I just need to get used to eyeing things in my cart better when I'm out shopping. And eventually, I'll know enough of what we need to order some bulk produce from Azure Standard. A lot of stuff we're eating could easily last 3-4 weeks if I knew how much of it we'd need (apples, oranges, carrots, celery, squash, onions, garlic, ginger).

But in general, I'm really happy with the results so far. I feel good. I have more energy. My sugar cravings are diminishing. And I've lost 9 lbs. V is down 11. The Monkey is actually eating fish and vegetables. No noticeable differences from the Boy yet but it is nice that he can now eat anything we're eating because it's all healthy food. And he has 3 new teeth to chew things up with.

I have noticed also that I'm a lot more bothered by chemical smells than I remember being previously. And the Boy had a huge reaction to avocado a few days ago - red bumpy face rash. The Monkey is currently experiencing a flu that I'm sure is die-off. Hopefully it doesn't last too long for her.

The great part is that we're not feeling deprived at all. I'm definitely satiated and I feel like there is a lot of room for creativity and recipe finding within the rules of the diet. So I'm feeling really optimistic that we'll be able to do this for the whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment