Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pesto


My friend JL gave me the idea of using pesto as a pizza topping rather than fresh basil or as a replacement for the tomato sauce. I love this idea because pesto keeps well in the freezer and it gives me the chance to stock up on it while it's in season. With all the craziness, I only got one batch put together and we went thru it really fast - but next season I'd like to try again to stock up on basil while it's plentiful and cheap. This recipe is from Mario Batali's Italian Grill, page 50 - paraphrased, of course.

3 garlic cloves
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
3 TB pine nuts
generous pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup plus 2 TB olive oil
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 TB pecorino romano, freshly grated

With the motor running, drop the garlic into a food processor to chop it. Add the basil, pine nuts, and salt and pulse until the basil and nuts are coarsely chopped, then process until finely chopped. With the motor running, drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the cheeses. May be stored in a tightly sealed jar, topped with a thin layer of olive oil, for several weeks in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment