Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vegetable Broth


I'm not sure why but I've never made this before and I felt completely magic doing it. I was trying to make a broth for my risotto so it wouldn't taste like chicken bullion. I read a few recipes online and decided that the basic idea was to just use up all the random veggies in the fridge. So I just sort of went for it. 


I started by sauteeing the onions in some olive oil. Then I added in carrots and celery just to feel like I had a good, solid base. The rest was mostly squash I didn't know what to do with and a random turnip made it in too. I sauteed that all a bit longer, then added salt and water (about 2/3rds full). Bring to a boil, then simmer for as long as possible. 


After cooking about 6 hours, I decided it was done. I strained the broth out and then had a brilliant idea to put all the cooked veggie pulp in my blender. It worked brilliantly and I was really proud of not wasting all of that like I normally would. Alice and I liked the soup but V didn't. It was pretty bland but I had low expectations so maybe that's why I liked it. Plus, a little pepper and Parmesan grated on top makes anything pretty good. haha. And it was a by-product anyway. I still got my veg broth for my risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment