Monday, September 19, 2011

Green Smoothies


I have jumped on the green smoothie bandwagon. I went to a Relief Society mtg last month about healthy eating and we got to sample a green smoothie. It was actually pretty good so I thought I could try it at home and we've been so happy with the results - they're now on our regular menu. It a super simple lunch with some peanut butter toast or crackers and cheese. And I feel so healthy eating it!


handful of greens (kale, spinach, etc.)
banana (peeled, frozen is ok)
lemon (peeled but not necessarily seeded)
something else (cored apple, pear, handful of frozen fruit)
water
ice (opt.)

And that's it. Stick it in your BlendTec or Vitamix. Not sure if this will work in a normal blender. My ingredients usually fill up the blender and then I pour water in to about half the level and add 3-4 ice cubes. I usually use a frozen banana so that makes it cold too. I think it's important to be cold. I also like it a bit thinner than my usual smoothies or I start thinking 'sludge' when drinking it and that grosses me out.


But seriously, it tastes great. And the green color is fun. I like to serve it in our mason jars so we can see the pretty green. When I put it in our red plastic cups, it looks brown and no one wants to drink a brown smoothie. On that note - I was warned not to do carrots with greens or you run into the same problem.

The key part I'd been missing when previously thinking about green smoothies is that the lemon cuts the bitterness. The lemon is vital to having it taste good so don't leave it out. Also, I tried it with apple juice instead of the water and thought it was too sweet. But if you don't find the basic recipe sweet enough, you could try subbing juices.

1 comment:

  1. That recipe looks yummy! I've always added spinach to our regular fruit/yogurt breakfast smoothies, but the green doesn't turn out as pretty as yours did!

    ReplyDelete