Monday, August 15, 2011

Peanut Butter


This post inspired me to try my hand at homemade peanut butter. It was sooo simple. Seriously. If you have a food processor, it takes practically no effort. First, buy peanuts. I bought raw valencias with skins on from Azure Standard.

yes, those are silly bands underneath
Next, dump them onto a baking sheet and roast them in your 350' oven for 15-20 minutes or until shiny and slightly fragrant. Shake the pan once in the middle if you want to. Dump them into your food processor. You can wait a bit for them to cool if you'd like.


Process them for about 5 minutes. After about 3 minutes, the peanuts start to ball up in the mixer. You could stop there if you like it like that but I prefer mine more creamy. If you continue to process, the ball will eventually breakup and become more like peanut butter. If your food processor is having a hard time with it, try doing 1 lb of peanuts at a time.

You can flavor with just salt or add a TB of coconut oil and/or honey. I just used a bit of sea salt. 2 lbs of peanuts made 2 pints of peanut butter. Store in the fridge.

Now I just need to figure out how to store 30 lbs of peanuts in my apartment...

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?!?! I never thought it would be so simple! I am totally making this. How long does it last? And you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually know how long it lasts. It's coming up on a week and it's still great! I'm pretty sure it will be good for a few months though. I guess we'll see. And thanks! I can't wait to pinch Faye's little cheeks. I'm bummed we missed out on the blessing. It sounded like a blast - from the vent perspective anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete