Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Frozen Greens


This is another obvious idea that I've recently come across. Freeze your kale. Or chard. Or whatever. Sadly, I've let plenty of kale go to waste because I couldn't use it in time. To be fair, my CSA box generally has like four kinds of kale in it to get thru. But it's still sad to see it go to waste. Anyway, thankfully that won't happen anymore because now I know that I can freeze it. 

I think I assumed that since you can't freeze lettuce, that all greens don't freeze well but that's just not true. And in retrospect, I've eaten plenty of frozen spinach in my lifetime, so I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me with the kale. Well, now I know.



Rip the leaves of the kale or chard off of the stems (this can be quite involved, depending on the type of kale you buy as some have more ribbing than others). Rinse well in water. Shake dry. Place on cookie sheet in freezer. Freeze until stiff, then transfer to a storage container and store in the freezer. 

Lately I've been eating my kale simply sauteed in butter with a tiny bit of sea salt thrown in. The salt goes a long way. It tastes delicious to me. I used to have to 'hide' it in things to get it down but either the taste has grown on me or my body is deficient in something it has lots of cause I can't seem to get enough of it. Luckily, it's plentiful around here year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment