Thursday, March 17, 2011

St Patty's Day!



I'm Irish. And I love sugar cookies. So naturally, I have a soft spot for St. Patrick's Day. This year, we're wearing green, finger painting, making sugar cookies and calling it good. But I've been thinking about future holiday celebrations when I have more energy and am not super pregnant :)

So I wanted to post my list of suitable 'real' food ideas. The theme here is anything green - these are not intended to all be used at the same meal. Mal does a St. Patrick's Day party every year with traditional Irish food, so I'll be posting some of her recipes later (tho Colcannon is a tempting idea - I like the one pot dish aspect and you can't go wrong with ham and potatoes). But for now, here's my food coloring-free 'green' brainstorm:

Guacamole and Chips
Artichoke Dip with crusty bread (this is even in season here!)
Ants on a Log - celery with peanut butter and raisins
Cheeseball rolled in chopped green onions
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Salad as a main dish (here or here or here) or as a side with Green Goddess Dressing
Pesto on Spinach Noodles
Spinach Quiche - individual sizes for an appetizer or full size as an entrée
Green Smoothies
Green Apple Crisp
Mint Hot Chocolate - not green and hard to make 'real', but I still think it fits

Any other ideas?

Update: Mal's St. Patty's Day party recipes are here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment