Friday, December 3, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo


I ordered a TON of spaghetti squash from Azure Standard this month. I had no idea I'd get so many when I placed my order. So we're having spaghetti squash alfredo a lot because I'm nervous about trying it with a red sauce! I found a recipe for this last year here, but have since gotten lazy and just do it in the oven using my standard alfredo recipe.

1 medium spaghetti squash
2 TB butter
1 1/2 cups cream
1 TB flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
cooked spinach, opt.
diced chicken, opt.

Prick a few fork holes in it and put the spaghetti squash in a pan in the oven at 350' for 1 hour or until soft. Slice in half endwise (which is apparently the word for the opposite of lengthwise). Scoop out the squash. It will be super hot. Taste test some of it to make sure it's fully cooked. If not, you can put it back into the oven now, or make it into alfredo and put it back into the oven as a finished dish.

Make the alfredo sauce. Any alfredo sauce will do. I like WM's alfredo or you could do the blender cheese sauce using Parmesan. I don't ever measure alfredo sauces anymore so this recipe is my best guess as to what I did when I made the pictured alfredo sauce. Melt the butter, add the cream, whisk in the flour and bring to a boil to thicken. Remove from heat and add Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in spinach and/or chicken, if using. Add cooked squash to sauce - only as much as the volume of the sauce warrants. Serve immediately or bake in the oven at 350' until squash is completely cooked. Cover with tinfoil if it starts to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment