Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bruschetta


This is not your normal bruschetta. In Mario Batali's Molto Gusto, he has a whole chapter for bruschetta recipes. This is not one of them. This is my crap-I need dinner-what's in the fridge version. But I have read and re-read that chapter on bruschetta because it kind of blew my mind that there were so many delicious sounding versions of it. And the idea of something as simple as toast with toppings on it qualifying as fancy dinner is right up my alley. Also, it's quick.

For the above pictured version, I sauted some sliced mushrooms with butter and a very little bit of bacon. I toasted the bread until well-browned, rubbed a clove of garlic around the rim of the crust (a la Batali), then topped with gruyere and the mushroom saute. It would have been lovely served with a simple salad or some sauteed greens, but I was feeling lousy and not up for anything more than minimal. So we had toast for dinner. I mean, bruschetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment