Friday, November 5, 2010

Sprouted Wheat


I experimented with sprouting wheat a while back and am finally getting around to posting about it. I want to use sprouted wheat flour instead of the soaking method for some of my recipes like pizza dough and pie crust so this is the first step in that quest. First, fill a quart mason jar 1/3 full of whole grain or legumes (mine was hard white wheat), fill the rest of jar with filtered water, top with some screen material or cheesecloth, screw on the regular ring lid and let it sit on the counter overnight.

In the morning, drain the water out by tilting them upside down in the sink with the lid still in place. Fill with more filtered water, shake and drain. Do that a couple of times and then place the jars tilted diagonally in a dark place so they can drain slowly. Rinse about 3 times a day for about 3 days or until the sprouts are desired length. For wheat, they should be about 3/4" when they're done.


Honestly, the hardest part was making myself think about how to keep them tilted like that and in the dark. This container worked pretty well except the towel in the bottom got soaked. I found this post after the fact and think I'll try it in a loaf pan next time.


After the first 24 hours, mine already had little sprouts coming out. They're ALIVE! Three days later, they were fully sprouted. At this stage, there are options. You can rinse one last time, shake well and then store in the fridge with a regular lid if you want to eat them straight with some salad dressing (thanks GC!), or you can add them to sandwiches etc. Sproutpeople is a website that sells sprouting kits and has a lot of ideas of different types of legumes and seeds to try sprouting with - some are better than others for salads (I want to try lentils).

I chose to put mine in the dehydrator so I could make flour out of it. Grinding the flour turned out to be really problematic though because all the little sprout parts would gum up in my grinder. They didn't work in the electric at all and V ended up brute forcing them thru the hand crank one. I am interested in trying again with a one-day sprout in hopes that the shorter sprouts will work better for grinding. We ended up making pizza out of the sprouted flour and it seemed to work the same as normal flour. Overall though, it was way more work than the overnight soaking method. I'm actually wondering if buying the flour pre-sprouted is actually worth the cost after all.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend, I found your blog! Very impressive. This post interests me because we regularly buy sprouted wheat bread due to things I have read saying it is more healthy. Thanks for sharing the process with pics-- it sounds like quite the ordeal to come up with sprouted wheat flour!

    ReplyDelete