Friday, November 12, 2010

Foofy Ketchup


This is the recipe from Nourishing Traditions, page 104. Well, I cut it in half because we don't go thru a lot of ketchup around here. I don't really like ketchup in general but this stuff has so much flavor, I find myself figuring out ways to use it. It goes really well with kale hash.

1 1/2 cups canned organic tomato paste
2 TB whey
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
pinch cayenne pepper
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup fish sauce, Thai Kitchen brand is good

Mix all ingredients well. Place in a pint sized, wide-mouth mason jar. Leave some head space in the top of the jar. Leave at room temperature, covered loosely for about 2 days. Transfer to refrigerator. Keeps for 2-3 months.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! This was delicious with the kale hash. My 3 year old and 18 month old yummed it up - and that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I'm so happy you tried them :D

    ReplyDelete