Sunday, October 31, 2010

Real Pumpkin Pie



Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup butter, cold
2 TB minced candied ginger
3 TB flour
1/3 cup brown sugar

Filling:
2 cups pureed, cooked pumpkin
2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground clove
3 eggs
1 ½ oz apple juice
Pre-baked 9 inch pie shell

Rub all topping ingredients together with fingertips until crumbly. Preheat oven to 350’. Mix filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 350’ for 1 hour. Top with crumb mixture and bake for another 45 minutes or until set in center. Allowing the pie to cool overnight before serving will enhance the flavor. 

To make pureed, cooked pumpkin: Cut pumpkin in half horizontally and place in a roasting pan in ¼ inch of water. Cover with foil and bake at 400’ until tender - time will vary with pumpkin size and variety. Puree in a food processor. Thanks KC!

Note: This is the pumpkin I bought to make this with but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll post more pictures when I do. I've made it before though. If I remember right, it's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment