Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Poached Eggs for McMuffins


I'm back! I haven't posted in forever because we took a last minute trip to Texas. Things were hectic before-hand and then we were gone for ten days. I'm still catching up on laundry but breakfast was so yummy, I had to post about it. I definitely learned that it is hard to eat 'real food' on vacation. Now that we're back, I am ready for a detox but I still have cravings for all the splurges I didn't get to during our trip. So I made some homemade Egg McMuffins this morning :)


I don't have a fancy egg poaching pan so I improvise with this flat bottomed pan with sides and some ramekins. I'm sure you could use a saucepan or pot if you don't have one like mine. Fill the pan with about 1.5" of water. Put empty ramekins in and adjust the water level so it comes 2/3s up the sides of the ramekins. Butter ramekins well. Fill ramekins with one egg each and salt and pepper them. Place into pan if you took them out for this process. Turn the stove on and cover with a lid. They take about three minutes after the water comes to a boil if you like them like me - yolk cooked thru without the white all the way to rubbery. When done, remove the lid, take ramkins out with tongs (they're hot!), remove eggs by going around the edge with a table knife and sliding or lifting them out, and bribe someone else to do the dishes - the ramekins usually take some soaking.


For the McMuffins, just toast some English muffins, butter them, put a hot poached egg on the bottom slice, cover with a thin slice of cheddar cheese, top with bacon and then the top piece of toast. Let sit for a moment so the cheese will melt. You may also wrap it in tin foil for a minute if it needs a bit of help melting. Serve with OJ. Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Those egg McMuffins look awesome! We also learned on our vacation this year that it is really difficult to eat "real" food on the road.

    Speaking of real food, have you ever made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin? I would love to see a post about it. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done pumpkin pie from a pumpkin but I can't remember where I got the recipe! I think it was from my oldest sister but I'll have to do some digging. Thanks for the idea - I'll definitely post it once I pin it down. I do remember it being really good :)

    ReplyDelete