Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Freezing Red Peppers


I found some great looking bell peppers at the FM on Saturday and bought a bunch to freeze. The first step is to wash and slice the peppers. I learned on Iron Chef that it's much quicker to slice down the sides of the pepper than to core it and then slice. If you're careful, you can avoid the seeds all together when you slice it the Iron Chef way.


Place the washed, sliced peppers on cookie sheets and place in the freezer overnight.


In the morning, package them into freezer ziplocs or vacuum pack them if you're lucky enough to have a sealer around (thanks BC!). I'd like to go again this week and get more peppers to roast before freezing for soup. We'll see if I can wake up early enough.

Update 2/7/10: I never did make it back to the FM in time to get more peppers in season - and tonight I used up the last freezer pack for jambalaya! So for future reference, I need to buy a TON more of these suckers when they're in season. This year, I also want to buy a bunch to roast and then make freezer kits of Roasted Red Pepper Bisque with the veggies all pre-chopped and ready to go. I can't remember how many I bought last time but the number 14 is stuck in my head. I'm not sure if that was 14 peppers, or 14 lbs of peppers. Must have been 14 peppers. Wow, I guess I'm amazed they lasted this long. Weird. Maybe it was more. Or maybe they were just huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment