Saturday, September 18, 2010

Canning Applesauce


This is the first time I've ever canned applesauce and it was so much fun! I was really surprised at how easy it was. AD came over and helped tend the Monkey - which helped a ton. 20 lbs of apples made 7 qts of sauce. I think I need to get another 60 lbs of apples next month and do it again!

  • Buy a ton of Ginger Gold apples.
  • Wash apples.
  • Peel, core, and slice them.
  • Put in big pot with 1" filtered water.
  • Cook covered until very soft.
  • Meanwhile, 
    • Bring water in Canner to a boil.
    • Put jars and rings in dishwasher.
    • Put rings in small pan of water to simmer.
  • Mash apples with potato masher when soft.
  • Add a few dashes of cinnamon.
  • Sample WITHOUT burning your tongue to bits.
  • Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. 
  • Wipe rims, place lids on and screw rings on loosely.
  • Place in canner with 1" water over lids.
  • Process 20 minutes after the canner reaches the green zone.
  • Lift out.
  • Cool overnight.
  • Check seals (like I haven't done that 12 times already). 
  • Refrigerate any unsealed quarts.
  • Try not to eat them all immediately.


My only real dilemma was trying to figure out what to do with all the cores and peels. I ended up throwing them away since we have no composting option in our apartment. It seems like such a waste. I was excited about trying to make pectin out of apples using these leftovers but upon further reading, it seems like you need to use full-sugar recipes to make it gel. I'd rather use store-bought, low-sugar pectin if that's really the case. I would really like to figure out something useful to do with the refuse between now and when I get my 60 lb order from Azure Standard next month.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you need a vermicomposting system. That's what we use in our apartment for waste like cores and peels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read a little bit about those. What volume of waste can you feed them? And are they stinky? That might work really well and may even improve my 'garden' yield - not that that would take much :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make apple sauce -which is really apple pie filling recipe, every year. However, mine calls for corn syrup, sugar, and starch. So I am curious about this recipe with none of those. I am going to use it this year :) When you peeled, cored and sliced the apples did you slice them thin, using an apple peeler slicer, or do they need to be thicker into regular apple slices (in half then sections)? My next question is how big of a pot did you need for 20 lbs? and do you really only put 1 inch of total water, or 1 inch above the apples?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you are trying to stay away from sugar, but I bet honey would work well just more messy. Take the peels, mix into a mixture of sugar & cinnamon, spread out on pan, bake on low for a couple hours, or put into a dehydrator. Makes apple crisp snacks.
    also found this link
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/566028

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki - I used an apple/corer/peeler/slicer so yes, they were thinly sliced but you could just quarter the apples - they'll just take a bit longer to cook down.

    I actually needed two pans. I used an 8 qt pot and a 3 qt saute pan. I used a thin layer of water on the bottom of each pan because I was worried about the apples scorching before they released their juices. I think it would have added up to about an inch if everything was in one pot (probably about 1 1/2 cups water total). It's probably not necessary at all.

    Thanks for the peel ideas. I'm definitely going to try some of those out next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just spent the day making applesauce, I like this recipe so much better.
    My Mom told me to use the cores and peels for Apple Jelly -
    Take all the peels, cores and all that you would normally throw into the compost and add about 1 inch water, then cook that until it is mushy. (you may need to add a bit more water) Stir frequently, then mash it up in the pot with a potato masher. Line a large bowl with two layers of cheesecloth, dump and strain it. (I mashed a little more juice out, but not much came out.) Then taste the juice if it is too strong, add some water to taste and some sugar also to taste. pour liquid into a clean stockpot, then bring to a boil, stirring frequently. boil for 5 min. pour into HOT jars and put lids on, let cool overnight.
    Next time you do apple you can try it. I did a bushel of apples and only got enough liquid for 2 pints.

    ReplyDelete