Monday, July 5, 2010

Soaked Wheat Bread


I am thrilled to have a soaked bread recipe I actually like. After trying several, I finally came back around to my Grandmother Foutz's recipe and adjusted it for soaking. It turned out really well. I think the molasses flavor covers up some of the weird soaked aftertaste I didn't like in the others I'd tried. I learned a lot making those other recipes though. I am finally confident enough with the method to tweak my own recipes now. Hurrah!

9 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup yogurt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
4 tsp yeast
2 1/2 tsp salt

Combine flour, water, yogurt, oil, honey and molasses in a large bowl. Mix well. Soak 12-24 hours, covered, at room temperature.



Knead in yeast, then salt, and continue kneading for 8-10 minutes (I did this in two batches in my Kitchen Aid). Cover and let rise until double. Punch down, let rise until double again. Form into 3 loaves and put into well-buttered loaf pans. Let rise again until to desired height. Bake at 350' for 40-45 minutes or until done.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of soaked bread. What is it and why do you "soak" it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should probably do a separate post on that because there's a lot of info on it. Basically it's a lot more healthy and your body can absorb the vitamins in the wheat. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to write it up.

    ReplyDelete