Friday, July 2, 2010

Real Pie Crust



1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (soft white wheat)
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vinegar

Cut butter into flour and salt until crumbly. Add vinegar and milk at once and stir to combine. Form into ball. Roll out on a pastry cloth with any additional flour needed. Makes one 9-inch crust.

Note: don't be expecting a flaky crust. This is still whole wheat flour. But it tastes great and has a good texture, considering. I don't think soaking would work for a pie crust so the best option would be to use sprouted grain flour. I haven't actually sprouted any of my grains yet though, so for now this is my basic recipe for quiche crusts and the rare fruit pie. Also, for the record, V makes much prettier pie crusts than I do. He thinks my fork method is for Cretans. I think it works just fine :)

1 comment: