Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chinese Fried Rice



I like making this because I always have the ingredients on hand or can sub something that I do have pretty easily. Fresh celery, carrots, peppers, and snap peas work really well. I usually make this meal when I'm feeling lazy though, so my Costco bag of frozen organic veggies is really convenient.

2 cups brown basamati rice
4 cups water
3 eggs
3 TB coconut oil
2 cups veggies, chopped (frozen ok)
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup cooked bacon or ham, chopped (opt.)
1/4 cup soy sauce (to taste)
2 dashes sesame oil (opt.)

Wash rice. Combine with water in pan, bring to boil, then simmer 40 minutes or until cooked (or use a rice cooker). Scramble eggs in a large non-stick skillet. Remove and set to the side. If using fresh vegetables (not frozen), saute a few minutes, until starting to soften, then set aside. Melt coconut oil in hot skillet and add cooked rice. Stir over high heat for 3-5 minutes or until you're happy with the consistency. Add veggies, green onions, and meat (opt.). Add soy sauce. Continue to mix and stir until the vegetables are cooked thru and everything has been well combined. Add sesame oil just before serving, if desired. Thanks Mal!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I usually put all the add-ins plus sauce in the pan first and add the rice last. That way you coat the veggies, etc with sauce evenly instead of getting it in one spot on the rice. But my family also likes the rice less fried and more stirred (ie. still soft).
    I've never tried brown basmati - I'll have to do that!

    ReplyDelete