Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Jambalaya, Cheapified



I'm not sure if you can call it Jambalaya without any seafood and with only one type of meat, but I'm sticking to the title anyway. Feel free to add ham and shrimp to the recipe, I just wanted a cheap and simple version so I messed with the recipe I got from Mal. It turned out really well though and doesn't taste like most other things I make, so it will probably be in our regular recipe rotation now.

1/2 lb kielbasa sausage
1 onion
1/2 cup celery
1 green pepper
3 cloves garlic
28 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
black pepper and red pepper to taste

Chop sausage, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Saute sausage for a few minutes and then add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Saute another few minutes, stirring. Feel free to add more butter or oil if it's dry. Dump into a buttered 9x13 casserole dish. Using the same saute pan, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Pour over sausage and vegetables in the casserole dish and stir until combined. Cover with foil and bake at 350' for an hour or until rice is cooked.

Note: Feel free to substitute whatever aromatic vegetables you have on hand for the mirepoix (I used carrots instead of the celery in the pictured meal). I've gotten pretty cavalier with my mirepoix lately and it's always fine. Also, if you want to add more meat, add ham at the beginning with the sausage and shrimp about 10 minutes before the rice is done - or you can cook the shrimp separately and add it once it's out of the oven. Thanks SC via Mal!

No comments:

Post a Comment