Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hummus and Whole Wheat Naan

I've been making hummus and naan a lot lately. It's such an easy solution for lunch because I can make everything ahead of time and it lasts well in the fridge. I usually serve it with cucumbers, tomatoes, and kalamata olives.

Hummus
3 cups garbanzo beans
2 1/2 TB tahini
1/2-1 tsp salt
2+ cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
juice of 2 small lemons (or less)
1 cup olive oil (or more)

Combine all but olive oil in food processor and turn on for a few seconds to mix. Drizzle in olive oil in a steady stream until it's to the desired consistency. Adjust seasonings as desired (garlic, salt, tahini, lemon juice or cumin). Everyone has their favorite flavor combo and honestly it's never the same twice when I make it. It's just whatever you're in the mood for. After you've made it a few times, you'll recognize when it's the tahini flavor you're missing or if you need more lemon.

Note: you may use canned garbanzo beans but I usually soak mine the day before in water and cook them overnight in a crockpot so they're ready for lunch. Cooked beans freeze well too so you can do a big batch all at once. Also, tahini is sesame seed butter. You can find it in most grocery stores in the ethnic food section. I'm going to try to make my own once this jar runs out. I'll keep you posted if it works out.


Whole Wheat Naan
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup yogurt
1/2-1 cup filtered water
2 TB olive oil
2 tsp honey
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt

Combine flour, yogurt, water, olive oil and honey in a big bowl. If it's too dry to mix well, feel free to add a little more water. Let sit overnight, covered. The next morning, mix in yeast, baking powder, salt and any additional water if necessary to make the dough workable. Let rise for 2 hours (I don't really knead it other than mixing in the ingredients). Form into 8 balls of dough. Preheat a large skillet over med-high heat while you roll out the first dough ball. It doesn't have to be round or pretty. Just roll it out. Grease the pan if necessary with coconut oil or butter and put the dough in the pan. Cover with a lid until the naan starts to bubble, or about 2 minutes. Flip it and cook the other side, uncovered. Meanwhile, roll another dough ball out so it's ready to go when the first one is done. Continue until they're all cooked. Serve warm. Note: I use hard white wheat for these. You can also skip the soaking step by putting all the ingredients together and letting rise for 2 hours before rolling out and cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not very adventurous with my cooking - or at least it takes me a while to work myself up to trying a new recipe. But I've tried both of these in the past two weeks and my family is in love with them! The combination will be a staple at our house - probably once a week for a while.
    On the Naan, I didnt soak the grain, and used 6 oz plain yogurt instead of a cup (since that's how it's sold at the store).
    Also, the Tahini at my store is sold next to the peanut butter.
    thanks for taking me out of my comfort zone yet again!

    ReplyDelete