Monday, May 3, 2010

Soaked Oatmeal


After reading Nourishing Traditions, I've started soaking my oatmeal. It's actually the best tasting oatmeal I've ever had. Convenient since it's also better for me.

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 cups oats
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt

Combine the warm water and yogurt. Stir in the oats. Cover and let sit on your counter overnight. In the morning, boil 1 1/2 cups new water with the salt. Stir in the oat mixture and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Notes: This oatmeal tends to scald the pan easily so be sure to stir it. Also, the original recipe adds an extra 1 cup of water the morning of, but I like my oats less mushy. Bob's red mill gluten free oats are the least mushy of any oats I've found. We serve the oatmeal with butter, real maple syrup and raw milk because I appreciate indulgence in the morning. It's also fantastic as-is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment