Saturday, May 1, 2010

Salad Toppings

I've spent a lot of my life being a boring salad person. Lettuce with ranch and maybe some tomatoes. Add cucumbers if I'm feeling really fancy. Well, recently I actually read the label on my bottle of ranch dressing and it has msg in it. So I've started making my own salad dressings - mostly vinaigrettes. The homemade dressing has inspired me to start adding more delicious things to my salads and I'm amazed at how much of a difference it makes. I started with a bottle of marinated Artichoke Hearts and a bottle of Kalamata Olives (from Costco). They've lasted a really long time because I don't use much to get a pretty big flavor impact. Now I also have a go-to bottle of Sundried tomatoes and I like to add an avocado if I have one since they're in season and so yummy right now. Sometimes I toss on roasted sesame seeds or flax seeds. Those really kick it up a notch too. I still usually include my cucumber slices but we don't do carrots or tomatoes because V doesn't approve and I don't love them enough to bother making mine separately. Do you guys have any other favorite salad toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment